Bimota Forum Forum Index Bimota Forum
Forum for Bimota Owners and Riders

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  

replacing Antera wheels...

View previous topic :: View next topic  
franky

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2020 12:10 pm    Post subject: replacing Antera wheels... Reply with quote

with the sb6/8 range of bikes, which wheels are closest fit? Looking into aftermarket wheels, is there a bike who's wheels are the closest fit?
Jaguar

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2020 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cant speak to what would bolt on, but I bet a set of OZ from an Aprilia RSV could be made to work.

Probably better to just go with aftermarket anyway though.
OZ, Dymag, ect. Even carbon options are becoming really affordable.
2bims

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2020 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As Jaguar says....depending on whether you own your own lathe or have good engineering friends....
Back wheels has to align rear sprocket with front....has to have same size spindle hole for chain sliders...same bolt fixing for rear disc...same sized spacers.....and then theres the rear brake caliper hanging bracket....up front?...same with spindle....same issue with discs...hole centres...width of hub.....so that extng discs still align with calipers...speedo drive unit???...which is also a spacer....
Bespoke Dyamg will be plug and play...just swap over discs, sprocket, use all same size spacers and spindles...which are oversized on bimotas for strength......

Or ....Buy random wheels and change everything else or make bespoke everything else.....theres only one option for plug and play in a day...the 2nd option may just cost you more than the first....if you havent the tools and equipment to engineer everything needed
Jaguar

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2020 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last time I looked, carbon wheels were under $3k for the set.

I assume that alloy versions would be a fair bit cheaper.
Most used OEM OZ wheels I see are about a grand, but as was mentioned above a fair bit of work to make them fit.
Evilchicken0

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2020 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SB6R and SB8 ... the SB6 has a speedo drive Dymag make them and they're a bolt on fit, which is good because you'll probably buy new disc (countersunk) bolts and sprocket nuts. Then add some tyres.
SB6R SB8 V-Due without the speedo drive are BST wheels.

Carbon and alloy are about the same, alloy might be a tad higher
Bud977

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2020 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If someone makes a wheel set specifically for your model, go for it. There is a lot of work in adapting other wheels (meaning expensive), and they can't always be made to fit.

Luckily I've got a lathe and taught myself how to use it making bike parts. I'm just fitting a set of lightweight PVM magnesium wheels into my RD250LC race bike so I've had to make a hub/disc mount, wheel spacers and caliper mount for a Lockheed caliper. Then on to the back wheel....

It takes a lot of time to figure it all out and make the part. I couldn't imagine how much it would cost to pay someone to do it, but it would be a lot.

As I can do the work myself, I've previously fitted R1 wheels into my YB8, Astralites to 2 of my TZs, wire wheels to an LC etc. There is a lot of satisfaction in seeing the completed job.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bimota Forum Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: