Bimota Forum Forum Index Bimota Forum
Forum for Bimota Owners and Riders

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  

I thought I'd better say...my story
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gavin944888

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2020 12:11 pm    Post subject: I thought I'd better say...my story Reply with quote

Gentlefolk........here is a tale....my tale.

You may know I witnessed the DB11 VLX Supercharger in 2015 and did everything I could to buy it.

Scottish shortbread and money was not enough....neither was Glaswegain humour.

Although promised to me ..it went elsewhere and dissapeared.....only MariaElena and Davide Commandini (both my factory contacts knew) along with Vort28 of this very forum.

Vort28 keeps his contacts close to his chest and offered to communicate with ....but not divulge his contact...fayre dooos....as they say in Glasgow.

Bimota got a new general manager and he also was making sure that the factory kept things close to their chest.

In a email sent by him just days before our scheduled meeting ...he (PierLuigi Marconi) explained that Bimota were 'not about to release their Technical secrets' to me.

Cast on and leave the bitterness behind....buy a VYRUS.....build a Supercharger replica....forgive but do not forget.

In mid 2016 I found out who bought the bike and every Xmas sent an email wishing him and his family well and pointing out that if he ever wanted to sell....I was here.

Xmas email after Xmas email....until Xmas 2018 and I got a response.

And I got a photograph.....and an invite to discuss bikes and my intentions.

[img]DSCN2918 by bear (as in animal ..not gay idol), on Flickr[/img]

I booked an EasyJet flight from Gatwick to Milan and took a taxi to a Village..(just north of MILAN) home of VDUE and Piero......that afternoon I took a flight back home.

I had done the deal...no haggling...no point missing out ...if it is what you want and you can afford it..buy it.

I knew that this was the start of a longer than one deal relationship and I wanted the bike.

One slight issue.......you need to agree to a Non Disclosure Agreement...no one is to know for 6 months maybe more ..Nov 19 at the latest.

No telling.. MariaElena or Davide Commandini...after all it was his invention and certainly ........no advising Marconi or Vort28 for that matter.

I picked the bike up in December just before BREXIT part 1 (Dec 31 2018)

We met again in March ...Brexit part 2 (March 31 19) to buy other bits and that was when the Kawasaki deal was told to me and 2Bims

Kawasaki intended the launch to be their own KB Supercharger....this little beastie was not meant to be .......still alive!

But it was....and I had it! A bit like dating Kylie, but no one else is to know.

Its okay I said to Kylie....'I am not that insecure!'

More to follow

Gavin

The Scottish Engineer

Cagiva Elefant 888/955 & adventure sidecar
Cagiva Elefant 999r engined
Cagiva BIMOTA Motard Concept
BIMOTA DB9 (with DB11 rear-end)
BIMOTA DB7-11 VLX MULE (build coming to an end)
BIMOTA DB11 VLX Supercharger

Last edited by Gavin944888 on Tue Mar 31, 2020 11:27 am; edited 5 times in total
TVRRICH

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2020 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stunning Gavin, i admire your persistence, a keeper then ?
Gavin944888

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2020 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So.....I have it...it is mine..Piero asked what I was going to do with it?

I was reminded by 2Bims of my reply as he came along for the pick up and road trip...

"I am going to strip it down a see how it all works...then I'm gonna build my own!'

2Bims was taken aback by Pieros' face and his outward expression....MAMA MIA

[img]IMG_20190225_0005 by bear (as in animal ..not gay idol), on Flickr[/img]

I didn't copy anything.......but it was amazing to witness two engineers solutions to the same problem when they are 1500 miles apart.

[img]IMG_20190225_0010 by bear (as in animal ..not gay idol), on Flickr[/img]

Davide Commandini estimated that between 10000 and 14000 man hours went into the devopment of the DB11VLX

[img]IMG_20190225_0009 by bear (as in animal ..not gay idol), on Flickr[/img]

What I had fabricated in 8-10 and 12mm alloy sheet welded then machined on the mills ... BIMOTA had machined from solid billet.

Even the belt covers were machined from 50mm thick billet ......it is amazing...totally amazing

More to follow.....

Gavin
The Scottish engineer

Gavin944888

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2020 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OOhhh..YES..TVRRICH...it is a keeper or until it becomes someone elses passion of desire.

I once hunted down a Cagiva 1991 No91 Ciro DePetri race Paris Dakar bike. No90 its sister bike in the race ...is in the Ducati Factory Musuem.

Rebuilt it and finally got Ciro De Petri to ride it at a Cagiva 15th anniverary PD meeting in 2016.

That bike got me into Cagiva factory... I met with Claudio Castiglioni, the Lucky Strike Race Team owners the Azzalin family and the Cagiva Design Team .....who Tamburini used to head up in San Marino.

I took it to Sweden, Poland and 6 different countries to exhibit.......it was a keeper and was for 10 years until someone else wanted...really wanted to take it to the next level.

My dream was to find it....it took over 3 years.....rebuild it....get the original rider to ride it.

Mr Castiglioni agreed and sent 3 mechanics and the Pilot (Ciro) from Varese 350 miles north to the Cagiva Elefant meeting and ride the bike.

(you should have seen the scutineering the race team mechanics did to ensure my work was safe, for their star rider) and that was good enough.

......for me......it was like being in the presence of Giants.

Here it is

[img]DSCF0483 no91g by bear (as in animal ..not gay idol), on Flickr[/img]

[img]DSCF0486 no91j by bear (as in animal ..not gay idol), on Flickr[/img]

In that MAP box there are still rally map stages of the Dakar with hand written notes and sand.......Ciro dePetri recognised the hand writing....that was enough

[img]DSCF0477 No91b by bear (as in animal ..not gay idol), on Flickr[/img]

In their day....the Lucky Strike team were given a budget of 1 million dollars to build 4 bikes and run in the Dakar

Each bike would take tens of thousands to built......the tanks 53 litres took 60 man hours to make for each bike

[img]DSCF0476 No91a by bear (as in animal ..not gay idol), on Flickr[/img]

As you can see ......it still has a place in my heart.....I rebuild every section...their race engineering was fantastic to witness.

Back to KYLIE

I think that being straight with Piero helped....I got a complete set of black raw carbon fibre bodywork and more.

Naturally the bike was finished, prepped and ready to collect with all good painted body work.....and there was a spare one of everything.

And notes...I love engineers notes ..on Oil..Ignition and spark plugs...some calculations........fantastic.

[img]IMAG0431 by bear (as in animal ..not gay idol), on Flickr[/img]

[img]P1040436 by bear (as in animal ..not gay idol), on Flickr[/img]

My intention is just to clean up and leave the raw-ness of it all....not electro plate or re-paint...just as it is...exactly as it was shown.

[img]P1040435 by bear (as in animal ..not gay idol), on Flickr[/img]

Some items have to be refitted ie the shock and the clocks...it came with an EXTREME Tech and a set of DB7 clocks

PAUL D from OZ and this forum....sourced a BIMOTA OHLINS shock and I need (want) the TFT flat screen AIM dash unit .i

It was taken off of this VLX and used on a customer DB8 Onero.......BIMOTA.......ehh

[img]IMG_20190225_0007 by bear (as in animal ..not gay idol), on Flickr[/img]

OOiiii.......Cathcart!!!..........Get off my bike!!

That is enough....I think.

Now I have to finalize the DB7-11 MULE Replica and that Vdue SuperCity thing.......if only I could get to the workshop.

Gavin
The Scottish Engineer

Last edited by Gavin944888 on Mon Apr 27, 2020 10:35 am; edited 5 times in total
TVRRICH

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2020 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great stuff Gavin. The Cagiva story is pretty amazing too, you really go for it with your wants dont you Shocked
2bims

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2020 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lovely Gav.…...it went to the right man......43 views when I opened up the thread...so lets see how high it goes...

slight correction....December 2018..."Come see...bike and me...in Italy.."

Yes...Big gav has had the bike some 12 months and counting...and had...well...I wont say "begged"....gav doesnt beg...But he did "enquire" as to whether I would once again....organise a "bimota club" stand at this years bike show....that was 12 months ago he asked...and I ...sort of...be-grudgingly accepted.....Its far easier to accept when Gav asks you to do something...Like someone once said to me...."I didn't think I had a choice....."....I didn't...so preparations went underway

I enjoy the shows...especially the company and the bike chat for 3 solid days...even arguing over the No. of Popadoms to be ordered during the evening in the Indian restaurant.....ow whether ...really...youre going to ut more butter on those butter croissants...".....or what daft "pint glass full" cocktails Gav would be dreaming up this time to get me intoxicated....but alas...all was not to be...although all the organising was done.....fate intervened...Force Majeure....

So...the Manchester Show was going to have my DB5 Borsalino....first time at a Bike show...AND....The DB11VLX supercharge...first time shown outside of the old factory in Rimini....

Hopefully if theres enough interest...Gav will run a daily on the topic....with more pictures.....It was "on this journey" with Gav.....to collect...that I first laid eyes upon the DB5 Borsalino.....a little dusty....but ...well...we all know the end result of that event

Last edited by 2bims on Mon Mar 30, 2020 8:41 pm; edited 2 times in total
2bims

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2020 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TVRRICH wrote:
Great stuff Gavin. The Cagiva story is pretty amazing too, you really go for it with your wants dont you Shocked

Theres "wants" ...but if you ever get to meet gav..you'll realise theres just "needs".....Want is way way too vague....Its all part of his master plan to take over the World.... Laughing
stockcar

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2020 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome, and they say you should never meet your heroes.......
TVRRICH

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2020 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did meet and chat to Gavin at the Manchester show when he had the Vyrus there. Very nice and knowledgable chap and fantastic bike.
2bims

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2020 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good on ya rich.///…>He does like to chat....I've done 3 road trips in vans and a car to Italy with gav…..yes...he likes to chat...as do I.....some have said...to be honest....I hadn't even noticed if there was a stereo or radio in either the van or the car....A laugh and a hoot all the way there and back each time....spending 12 hr slots in the vehicles per day.....stopping for the usual snack/food/toilet/coffee and fag breaks....as and when required....I love Europe....Cant say the same about gav...he'd be worried if I did....or at least his Mrs would be....he is one sound fellow though to spend time with....setting the world to rights in our own little microcosm ……

Nothings off limits conversation wise...and we share a lot of similar views...passion for bikes and Bimotas being just one of them

Last edited by 2bims on Mon Mar 30, 2020 8:50 pm; edited 2 times in total
yb11reno

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2020 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh my! Shocked

“If you have the means, I highly recommend it”. Ferris Buehler
2bims

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2020 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome on board Jack....this...is why I was waiting for email 4 of 4....although you still have one number "1 of 1" to hear about.....gav has now felt "up to it"....given current times...to publish...some 12 months after buying the bike....Patience should be rewarded.....

Check in for further updates
2bims

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2020 8:49 pm    Post subject: Re: I thought I'd better say...my story Reply with quote

Gavin944888 wrote:
Gentlefolk........here is a tale....my tale.

Although promised to me ..it went elsewhere and dissapeared.....only MariaElena and Davide Commandini (both my factory contacts knew) along with Vort28 of this very forum.

Vort28 keeps his contacts close to his chest and offered to communicate with ....but not divulge his contact...fayre dooos....as they say in Glasgow.

Gavin

The Scottish Engineer

Thats what I love about \gav…..never holds a grudge....Or is it never holds back from holding a grudge...getting old..I cant recall which.... Shocked
Bud977

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2020 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great story Gav. So glad you managed to score the VLX. Who would have thought you'd lay your hands on it. But I guess it has to go somewhere when Bimota built it. Glad it didn't go into the scrap bin.
2bims

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2020 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well....Over 300 views on this Topic so far....and as they say...theres a hazelnut in every bight.....so hopefully said Nut will repost some more info and pictures shortly and keep us more informed...... Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bimota Forum Forum Index -> Bimota Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: