Bimota Forum Forum Index Bimota Forum
Forum for Bimota Owners and Riders

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  

1983 SB3 in California

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tirefriar

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2019 7:09 am    Post subject: 1983 SB3 in California Reply with quote

https://iconicmotorbikeauctions.com/auction/1983-bimota-hb3/

Japanese import, almost register-proof in Commiefornia but is great candidate for Florida, a state that will issue registration to almost anything...
2004 BMW R11S BCR
2010 Ducati Streetfighter 1098 S
2bims

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2019 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do like that...and I'm not normally a fan of the SB3...fortunately this is an HB3...and looks so much better with a full fairing...and its tricolor.....think the clip ons need a little adjustment...it looks like theyre hitting the instrument panel at the moment....and missing the end caps....nice though....probably ride all day with that big lazy honda lump in it
2bims

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2019 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh...and do Marzocchi M1R forks really have magnesium tubes as it says in the blurb?...Is that why they face mythical selling prices?
PaulDB2

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2019 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Front forks on HB3 were originally 40mm Italia with the pivoting fork cap and 8 position adjustment.
M1R forks are usually 41.7mm, unsure if they did magnesium sliders on them, they certainly did for the 35mm and 38mm forks as fitted to Ducati TT and bevel racers.
2bims

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2019 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Up early DB2??.....You jogging down to the Gym to bench some weights? I was thinking of jogging over and sparring with you in the ring later if youre up for it?....As long as you go easy on me....you've got a longer reach than me
hindsight

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2019 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PaulDB2 wrote:
Front forks on HB3 were originally 40mm Italia with the pivoting fork cap and 8 position adjustment.
M1R forks are usually 41.7mm, unsure if they did magnesium sliders on them, they certainly did for the 35mm and 38mm forks as fitted to Ducati TT and bevel racers.

I've had a couple of standard 851's with M1R's, and they definitely did not have magnesium sliders. Though I'm not a metallurgist, I'm certainly be wondering about whether the strength of magnesium would be up to the stresses of fork tubes.
PaulDB2

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2019 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Magnesium is commonly used for racing components and is strong enough, but racing items usually 'lifed' and are replaced. Their longevity in a road bike environment may be limited more by weakness caused by corrosion which magnesium is far more susceptible to.
PaulDB2

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2019 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

2bims wrote:
Up early DB2??.....You jogging down to the Gym to bench some weights? I was thinking of jogging over and sparring with you in the ring later if youre up for it?....As long as you go easy on me....you've got a longer reach than me

Up early as I definitely needed to crack on with the garage tidy up before the armchair and TV beckon and snare me for the rest of the day. Just some light stuff to go through now, all the heavy lifting done you will be glad to hear Laughing
Jaguar

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2019 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems to be an optimistic asking price at $20k.
Heck even the top bid was a bit much in my opinion, if it was a real buyer.
I HATE that icon hides the performance of the failed listings.
Tirefriar

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2019 4:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jag, I agree re prices especially since this one doesn't have a US registration. Shouldn't be too tough to register it in Vermont, Florida or any other lenient state and then attempt to get a California or at least Oregon title. As it now sits, this HB3 is really a display candidate rather than a road going bike.
2004 BMW R11S BCR
Jaguar

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2019 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Iconic does seem to really be shooting the moon on many of the listings.

They do a great job of hiding the bids, and listings that fail to meet reserve. But boy do they bang the drum of big sales.

The SB8R and SB8RS ended up getting bought by a dealer that is trying to flip them.

I was a bidder on the HB3, but was solidly outbid in the end. Personally I suspect shill bidders, but can not prove that.

As a Honda guy I would love that bike, but $20k is crazy town for me.
Tirefriar

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2019 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The SB8R was the bike I originally sold to Adam of Iconic before he set up shop: https://iconicmotorbikeauctions.com/auction/2000-bimota-sb8r/

They do great deal of advertising to generate excitement but Adam’s philosophy is to have fun. The Icon was created not as means of providing livelihood but rather for personal satisfaction and gratification. According to someone I know who’s been associated with iconic directly, they don’t put much emphasis on profit margins, i.e. they will cut the bike loose as long as there’s no loss on the books.

I agree that prices are way out there and in this way Iconic reminds me of Bring a Trailer. Just as is the case with BaT, most of the bikes auctioned a through Iconic are consignment units and in that respect the prices are more indicative of what the seller wants rather than Iconic.

I too bid on few bikes at their auction but they did sell for a more or less reasonable price to highest bidders. Knowing the people associated with Iconic auctions I strongly doubt shill bidding involved.
2004 BMW R11S BCR
Jaguar

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2019 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well that is great to hear positive things from someone that knows them.

It is a great outlet.
Agree with you on the BaT comparison.

I have found myself confused and overwhelmed as to what is listed, what will be listed and the general "storm" of things.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bimota Forum Forum Index -> Bikes For Sale All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: