Bimota Forum Forum Index Bimota Forum
Forum for Bimota Owners and Riders

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  

Headlight for uk vdue

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Joe Johnston

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2016 1:25 pm    Post subject: Headlight for uk vdue Reply with quote

Hi Mot time and trying to find a headlight for my vdue to meet uk spec .
I know that the Vdue used a Yamaha FZR headlights but was it one of a 400,600,1000,and what year or model as there are so many types of head lights used on FZRs over the years
BOFFER

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2016 9:52 am    Post subject: Headlight Reply with quote

Hi there, have you tried Piero ?
Joe Johnston

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2016 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes he doesn't have any but told me the headlights were from 93 Yamaha fzr600 but there's lots of types of headlights fitted to that year depending on country some have two headlights others have a single headlight but only one bulb vdue has single headlight with two bulbs
2bims

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2016 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whats fitted to the bike at the Moment? Projecter beam Hi/Lo on the right as you look at it and Sidelight separate unit on the left?

Not aware that they kick up the wrong way....your MOT testers must be very stringent.....I have a Vdue unit on my Vdue as above...and fitted same to my DB2 and not had an issue with them....and seen Vdues run through our Vosa test without an issue on the headlight unit........For driving in UK it can be either a flatbeam or kick up to the left when on the bike.....Euro spec units kick up to the right and would fail an MOT...but again I didnt think the projecter unit lights had a kick on them........

Foxeye FZR400RR units can be made to fit
Joe Johnston

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2016 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi can't rember what way the headlight is I'm away for weekend will look when I get home but I do know that it kicks up to the right and in N Ireland mots are carried out at government run test centres so no getting away with anything
bannrikae

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2016 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi
New to the forum and thought I may be able to help.
I'm going through the registration process on my vdue and it failed the MOT last week because the headlight kicked up on the right as it is an European import.
I managed to break into the headlight unit and turn the metal plate around 180 degrees so that the kickup
is now on the left.
The front glass is held onto the plastic moulding with silicone sealent and was a bit of a pain to unstick.
Not a very easy job, but it is possible.
stockcar

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2016 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A lot of the car guys use the oven on a low heat to soften the sealant first and allow removal of glass easier
Joe Johnston

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2016 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sound like the fix for my headlight will give it a go was it hard to get the glass off
hindsight

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2019 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Old thread resurrection..

My DB2 has a euro dual headlight, which I believe to be the one described in this thread. Inspired by this conversation I wondered if I were to obtain a second headlight, whether I could convert it for UK use, and therefore remove the need for the sticker on the outside of the light.

I obtained a headlight, and after checking yamaha part numbers of the unit received, I believe it was a Euro headlight, identical to the one already fitted to my DB2.

Disassembly of the headlight took a little while, but once the projector unit was stripped down, the mask is very much part of the metal assembly. I dare say it could be cut and brazed back into place, but I'd imagine that would also damage the reflecting surface. I can't see any reasonable way of flipping that plate around 180degrees as described - perhaps it was a different headlight type described by a previous poster.

2bims

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2019 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup....thats a different type of headlight you have there...not a standard Vdue unit
2bims

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2019 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If its all about registration....or MOT tests etc etc...just get a normal UK Yamaha headlight with a single beam....its dead easy to wire in....you've tops 4 wires in the Vdue unit.....one goes to main beam..one to high beam...one to sidelight (which your unit doesnt seem to have...should be a plug in rubber grommet at the bottom of the unit)….and theres a main earth tag also....and guess what...a standard single lamp has a dual filament central bulb which is main and High beam...and below the same small 10/14 watt sidelight bulb also....
hindsight

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2019 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

2bims wrote:
If its all about registration....or MOT tests etc etc...j

More about aesthetics. I quite like the existing two-beam headlight, which has been through several MoT's, but I was hoping to be able to lose the beam-adjustment sticker off the front of the lens.

No biggie though, perhaps the pics will come in handy for someone in the future.
2bims

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2019 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I prefer the look of the vdue units also....piero still has stock...but only euro ones...no uk ones left....lose the sticker??..then take it off...if I had to put one on for mot's then I'd just use black insulation tape anyhow...
trev45

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2019 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Australian head light would be the same

Cheers Trev
2bims

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2019 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hindsight wrote:
2bims wrote:
If its all about registration....or MOT tests etc etc...j

More about aesthetics. I quite like the existing two-beam headlight, which has been through several MoT's, but I was hoping to be able to lose the beam-adjustment sticker off the front of the lens.

No biggie though, perhaps the pics will come in handy for someone in the future.

I'm assuming the piece with the kick up wont swivel round?....or can the unit itself be swivelled around in its base plate so that the kick up goes the other UK way?.....Or....glue some plastic on it to take out the kick...."Euro" E13 bike headlights now have no kick up...just pure flat.....so glueing on a piece to mask the kick up and turn it into a flat would be MOT legal.....just make sure you use good plastic and glue...those beam units get HOT....
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bimota Forum Forum Index -> V Due All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: