Bimota Forum Forum Index Bimota Forum
Forum for Bimota Owners and Riders

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  

DB7-11 VLX MULE resurrection
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
djt77

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2019 6:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Gavin, how is the project progressing been a while since any updates. I see you have a new project on the go so I expect this to be completed by now lol 😝
Gavin944888

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2019 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well............Yes and No really.

It seems whoever I work with suffer a bit.....
I built a 999r Cagiva elefant and after the completion and 5000 miles... (got it painted for the 2019 Castiglioni day in Varese)
the painter committed suicide in December after finishing the bike.

The DB7-11 VLX whent to Electro34 to be wired, only for him to suffer a bit of a break down and ask for something easier
..6 months after having it and doing nothing.

The DB7-11 VLX then went to Norfolk to an EX VYRUS programmer to be wired and the software developed,
only for him to be struck by intestine issues and off work for 4 months.

In the meantime I designed and built an off road adventure sidecar and bolted it to the 888 elefant
....only for the welder and good friend James to develop cancer...
he finished the project but scans, treatment and a lead face mask, all delayed the project...

BTW now complete but a bit of wiring to be finished off by Electro34 who has now had a suspeced stroke...
so it sits in the gargae waiting to be plugged in so to speak...the bike not him!

Now I found the details of a concept Tamburini bike.....Bimota engine in a Cagiva SuperCity styled sketch....
so whilst waiting for everyone to get better...(and shouting WHEN)
I thought I would start to acqure stuff from contacts and folk in the know....
I have the body work, the suspension (Bimota) F+R, an engine, carbs, wheels, Discs, the yokes are waiting to be machined and the Zeeltronics are being wired in Germany....
so bit by bit...as they say.

The DB7-11VLX inspection day is May the 15th where final stage dates and DYNO testing will be pencilled in.
It has been almost a year since I last placed a hand or a spanner on it...
but Electrics and custom built ECU are something more than one step beyond my capabilities.

I now have all the carbon needed including the moncoque rear seat assembly...
but no painting will take place until DYNO work is completed.

I hope to post more images in late May...
but it is the riding season and I am off to Poland in June and then Germany, France and Spain on various outings....
plus the sidecar needs to be tested before an uphill event in France next year.

If everyone stays healthy....the VLX will be see the road....
by BREXIT...you can guess when that is!

Thanks for asking...

regards
Gavin

Cagiva Elefant 888/955 & adventure sidecar
Cagiva Elefant 999r engined
Cagiva BIMOTA Motard Concept
BIMOTA DB9 (with DB11 rear-end)
BIMOTA DB7-11 VLX MULE (build coming to an end)
BIMOTA DB11 VLX Supercharger
djt77

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 1:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the update Gavin, unfortunate to hear about people health deteriorating, never nice. I hope you have it finished soon though, i cant wait to hear you impressions on it when you finally get it on the road. Hopefully not too much longer Smile
Gavin944888

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello..........been to inspect the VLX and pretty impressed with the MicroTec stuff, used on the wiring and software design.

The mechanic at XBikes (Wisbech) I cannot speak highly enough of, has been going through all my work and also designing the ECU programme.

The alloy electrical frame now holds the fuel pump and filter assembly as well as the electrics and connectors.

Here are some images of the bike on the bench...not exciting but all I have as yet.

[img]IMAG0292 by bear (as in animal ..not gay idol), on Flickr[/img]

We had a bit on an issue with the rear wheel.....had to flip it over to another make to ensure that the disc and caliper clears..

[img]IMAG0289 by bear (as in animal ..not gay idol), on Flickr[/img]

At the moment is BRIGHT green....no need for a poll....it will be changed.

[img]IMG_0974 by bear (as in animal ..not gay idol), on Flickr[/img]

The ignition as in On and OFF is mobile phone activated ...best not lose my phone. Or perhaps I can get a key ring and hang my phone from it.

The use of Ducati 1198 and Diavel hoses made space in a given area.

The battery is being readied to be positioned in this area along with the solenoid and rectifier.

We have a date of 18th June for switch on.....and then dyno room early July.....where I discover if my chosen injectors are big enough.

A BIG thank you to Sprintex who continue to help...X Bikes who do what they say....and the best of rest....Essex Wheels & Engineering RaceFit...but never and nowhere Electro34.

UPDATE......as of 11th June...Electro34 visited today and completed the promised work......been over 12 months but now the wiring is finished.
From this....I can say no more.

I hate wiring and I now hate folk who do wiring.....Ferret and XBikes excluded.

It has been a while....I finished my last bit of fabrication and machining in June last year....and Electro34 holding the bike for 6 months before saying..It is all too much....we are where are....and it is in the hands of professionals.

I have to machine the rear wheel and retrofit accordingly.....and also change cosmetic items befor the start up ...but we are getting there.

thanks

Gavin

Last edited by Gavin944888 on Wed Jun 12, 2019 6:37 am; edited 1 time in total
2bims

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

friggin double again....

Last edited by 2bims on Fri May 17, 2019 7:33 am; edited 1 time in total
2bims

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Green?? Whats the problem with Green?....THats about all that I can add to this thread.....I opted out of education at 18...….

brian

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 1:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I was really happy when I saw the lime green....

'99 DB4 #104, '96 SB6 #1165, '94 DB2 J #652, '99 DB4 #088, '08 VTX1800, '93 ZXR750R M1, '95 ZXR750, '95 ZXR750 Race Bike, '94 CBR400rr NC29 Race Bike, '94 CB250, '49 BSA C10 250, '61 BSA A10 650, '89 ZXR750, '91 Ducati 851
Gavin944888

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2019 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update on proceedings,

Been to XBikes in Wishech to discover that Chris the Engineer/Software writer is scaling back after health issues.

The bike will be finished (he promised) but after the stroke suffered by his father...who runs the machine shop.
and added to his own health issues I cannot put too much pressure on getting things done.
I am now resigned to testing now being end July with Dyno scheduled whenever...

I am seriously considering curbing my builds as all the 'old contacts' are old and suffering from years bent over bikes and DYNO noise and fumes.

List of casualties......

Tony the Paint..............retired to paint Ambulances
Mr Gibson and his exhausts.......moved to OZ
Chris Wells Paint (brought in after Tony the Paint) ........dead
Shepshed Brothers upholstering.......moved/retired
Swarbrick Racing and their pipes.......only stock items...no specials
Fine limit Welding........retained by Duxford Museum for their WW2 aircraft.
Robbie @ Crown engineering.......living on Pot Noodles
Radiant Pete and his custom radiators......retired
Camp David and his ECU writers.......now in a Kabutz in Islington
London Road Graphics & Design.....fell in love and skipped bail.
Shiny Pete the Chromer...pickled by the fumes (shut by HM Health & Safety)

And every month another contact is removed from the filofax of life.

All new technicians are armed with tattoos and lap tops..it's only me who smokes french fags now.....
the worlds mechanics spend more on fancy coffee and muffens.....I thought muffens were something that hung over your wranglers.
and who the heck ever heard of a auto electrician in THERAPY.

I am getting old....I have about one Bimota special left in me before I retire....60 in November......it is going to be LOUD

more soon
Gavin

2bims

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2019 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Muffins....Its Muffins.....not Scotch Tablet or Lorne Sausage....that fit nicely in Muffins....

You can add another to your list if names youre responsible for creating casualties....

"2Bims - Succumbed to a case of the Fatal curse of Borsalino"......without your road trip it may never have happened...... Laughing Shocked
2bims

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2019 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wranglers...How 1980's are you?.....Hugo Boss or Levis at a stretch (and both would be on me if I tried to get into either....)
Gavin944888

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2019 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well......just back from the Island...as in Skopelos just off Skiathos...in Greece......not the IOM

Scheduled to pick up the rewired and newly programmed and multi mapped DB7-11 VLX supercharger.

All engineering and fabrication work has been completed by me.....all bodywork other than front fairing has been made and fitted....by me

Even the one off alloy lattice subframe which locates under the seat and holds the electrics in a Christmas tree fashion has been copied,welded and fitted......again by me.

Just the wiring and dyno which was promised for the July by X Bikes....collection date 15th Aug.

So like a teenager waiting to called he is fixated on....I called X Bikes only to be told that the software engineer and owner Chris Wells ...is in Italy working on a James Bond movie. Planning and arranging the pyrotechnics and fire stunt co ordination.

My project....is sidelined...cast aside like a Glaswegian slag waiting for him to return......I am stood at docks feeling unfulfilled and cheap.

Fucked off is not unusual in my vocabulary...Glaswegians use cursing like punctuation marks....we are used to effing and seeing...sorry!

However dipped in the fruitful language is also a determination to finish the job. It will be collected and completed........testing will be testing ...but the build will be completed one way or another.

If the worst comes to the worst....I will revert to normally aspirated, but I will not give up on the project.

Since the VLX replica has been been away .....since May lst year...other projects have filled my time and engineering bench.

....more will follow.

Regards

Gavin
The Scottish Engineer

2bims

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2019 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not like you gave...to be a bit down about your toys....coz that's what they are...and you have a few...that's the problem though with folk that know what's what...an aging and dying breed...always in demand for their skills...I'm sure project 2 will merit your attentions instead...and benefit as a result...will either be ready for March 2020??...next month is showtime application for the mcr show up north...
Gavin944888

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2019 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

2Bims

I am sure something will be at the 2020 show and it will be Bimota based.....
I will do all that I can for it to forced induction....but I do not want to whine on about it!

However, I recall that I have booked a dog sledging training course in Norway in March ...I think....4 of us are booked into Tromso

I will check and report back.....what date is the show in March?

Mischief...Musch....Musch...Mischief

Regards
Gavin

2bims

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2019 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Usually last weekend in March...I'll check and report back..
Gavin944888

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2020 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay.......it is now mid Feb 2020, getting close to 20 months after the bike was dropped off for wiring.

The company concerned is X Bikes in Wisbech and the guy who runs it is ex MV Agusta race team and ex VYRUS. He warned right at the beginning that it was at least 12 months as he was fully booked.

Bearing in mind the previous company Electro 34, had the bike for 7 months and then held up their hands admitting it was all too much and beyond their actual area of expertise.

In the words of some....you have wait to get what you want....but it has beeen a long wait.

You also fall foul of people saying yes when they really mean perhaps and this is for both sides....

so the bike was finished as far as I could go from a mechanical point of view with all brackets and fixings machined...

Then sent it to the company...stick a deposit in their bank accounts and wait.

I have been waiting.......it is getting close.

Also in X Bikes defence, they are writing a software programme and designing and altering a ECU to suit....not exactly plug and play.

More coming soon

Gavin
The Scottish Engineer

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bimota Forum Forum Index -> DB Series All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next
Page 11 of 15

Jump to: