Bimota Forum Forum Index Bimota Forum
Forum for Bimota Owners and Riders

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  

SB6R Wet Weight (Kerb Weight)
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
GeeKay

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2019 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gammaboy wrote:
Bud977 wrote:
You can also save 8 kg by going to race glass. The standard seat/tank unit weighs 6kg, and the raceglass version weighs 2 kg. Same for the fairing.

Who the fuck makes race glass for a SB6?

http://www.airtech-streamlining.com/bimota/sb6.htm
Bud977

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2019 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, had a blonde moment. I was thinking YB.
Ray916MN

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pretty interesting where this thread has gone.

Discussion of how to weigh a bike. Discussion of other ways to lighten a bike and benefits of lightening a bike. Discussion of race glass for a different bike. The only thing I've learned so far is that Airtech makes race glass for an SB6. An interesting tidbit, but pretty much worthless to me, since it won't fit an SB6R.

Although I know that lightening a motorcycle and in particular lightening the wheels of a motorcycle has real benefits (I have 5 bikes with CF or magnesium wheels and a couple with spun aluminum wheels) I like to know how heavy a bike is to start with. While I can project an SB6R has a kerb weight of 465 lbs. if let's say Bimota was really fudging and the actual kerb weight was 510 lbs. I'd be less motivated to try to shave 20 or 30 lbs off the bike, because while I'd have a lighter pig, I'd still pretty clearly have a pig of a bike. Probably an unlikely scenario, but I'll be the first to admit in the absence of more data anything is possible.

As it seems no one has weighed an SB6R, has anyone weighed an SB6? Has anyone weighed a bike from the same era like a YB11 so the factory cited weights can be compared with actual weight to get an idea of how much Bimota fudged on stated weights in the late 90s?

Finally. for all my fellow Americans, you might want to consider wheels if you haven't already done them. Boris Johnson's hard Brexit posturing has been driving the pound down relative to the dollar making it possible to get a set of Dymag CF wheels from the UK (Harwood Performance Source) for less than $2700 including shipping. If Johnson keeps up the hard Brexit lip flapping the GBP is going to continue to drop more and more the closer we get to 10/31.
Gammaboy

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 1:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GeeKay wrote:
Gammaboy wrote:
Bud977 wrote:
You can also save 8 kg by going to race glass. The standard seat/tank unit weighs 6kg, and the raceglass version weighs 2 kg. Same for the fairing.

Who the fuck makes race glass for a SB6?

http://www.airtech-streamlining.com/bimota/sb6.htm

That must be a fairly recent addition. Pity it's airtech, they're reputedly a bear to deal with for international orders
GeeKay

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had no problems with them when I ordered a race tail unit for my RF900.

Send an e-mail to Butch - he's the guy I dealt with and he sorted it all for me.

Airtech have no control over the ridiculous US shipping rates.
Jaguar

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.tannermatic.com/

Reach out to Matt.

He can do almost anything in CF, and is an amazing guy to work with.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bimota Forum Forum Index -> SB Series All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: