Bimota Forum Forum Index Bimota Forum
Forum for Bimota Owners and Riders

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  

Hopefully this is not serious

View previous topic :: View next topic  
BimotaBoy

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 10:41 am    Post subject: Hopefully this is not serious Reply with quote

Decided that IAW the service intervals it was time to replace the belts on the Tesi 1.
Watched the movie, bought the workshop manual and the tools and belts. Took the bike apart to get to the belts. Lined all the marks up and locked the pullies. Took the old ones off and while fitting the vertical cylinder belt the locking tool popped out and the inlet pully moved.
Now I have a free turning pully which I can feel stopping against something. All the other four marks are still lined up.
How do I get the vertical cylinder intake pully lined up again. There is nothing in the book as to what to do if the marks are not lined up.
vort28

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now if this is anything like my DB7 , 1098 motor , when the marks on the horizontal cylinder lined there was no valve pressure on the cams , but the vertical cylinder had pressure on them , so were trying to rotate themselves.
So the stop you feel is the valve rocker, suppose you could verify this by removing the inspection cover.
Now the youtube video I watched for the 1098 warned me about this , it also advised marking belt and pulley with paint marker prior to removal and then transferring belt marks to new belt to double check ( but to late for that).
So as long as you have not spun the cam around to much ( ie 1 complete turn) , just re-align the marks/tool ( you may need to use the old belt or a belt oil wrench tool to help force it round against valves a little) .
BimotaBoy

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 3:03 pm    Post subject: Marks Reply with quote

I marked everything before I started with little blobs of paint,and transferred the marks from the old belts to the replacements.
I tried turning the pully with the old belt by it refuses to stay in position and springs back.
BimotaBoy

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 7:10 am    Post subject: Got it Reply with quote

Left it for a day and went back to it. Everything is now lined up and the locking tool is now in.
Is there a knack for getting the belts on. They seem very tight with not enough slack to get them on.
2bims

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you have the right belts?......2 types for most ducs.....square teeth or rounded teeth on the belts...and then theres the length for different motors...single or twin cams etc....try counting the number of teeth on old and new belts....and then lastely theres the built in tensioner on each cylinder...slacken that off to assist fitting and then retension….
BimotaBoy

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 8:18 am    Post subject: Belts Reply with quote

Right belts for an 851 Duc. Same number of teeth, same profile. I tried fitting as per the book but they seem impossibly tight.
2bims

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK...they will be tighter than the originals because they will have worn and stretched somewhat.....just ensure that you have set the belt tensioner pulley correctly that sits halfway down the belts on each cylinder.....its a small cam wheel locked with an allen key fixing bolt to fix its position.....it should be pushed up against the belt and locked in place so that you can just push an allen key between the belt and pulley wheel...the manual you have should tell you what diameter size allen key should just push through
vort28

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 12:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Belts Reply with quote

BimotaBoy wrote:
Right belts for an 851 Duc. Same number of teeth, same profile. I tried fitting as per the book but they seem impossibly tight.

I seem to remember there is a anti clockwise rotation for putting the belt on the vertical because obviously all the slack is in the adjuster pulley run , going on the basis that the basic 851 architecture is the same as the 1098.
Think I watched a few different youtube vid's , all seem to be slightly different and all chose different belt tensioning methods.
Don't know if its the same for the early 4v motors but the later ones are tightening using the belt noise frequency as the correct tension. !!
BimotaBoy

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 6:52 am    Post subject: Belts Reply with quote

Thanks for all the replies. Getting the belts on is the problem not the tension. Managed to get the vertical on yesterday, Jez Don't know how the pros do it. Gonna try again today and see if I get get the horizontal one on. Got one of those Facom tension tools so the tension will be fine. Hope I remember how to put it back together again. Replacing the fuel lines and coolant lines, oil filter, New battery and fresh rubber. Can't wait to get her done.
Taking this thing to Monaco when it's ready.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bimota Forum Forum Index -> Tesi All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: