Bimota Forum Forum Index Bimota Forum
Forum for Bimota Owners and Riders

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  

Another Newbie
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
TVRRICH

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 4:50 pm    Post subject: Another Newbie Reply with quote

Hi everyone, ive just bought the DB2 FE from NLM, havnt managed any miles on it yet due to the crap weather, Gagging to get out on her. Hoping to get plenty of tips and advice from what seems to be a very knowledgeable forum. I'm in the Coventry area are there any others local to me?
vort28

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations on your purchase, and welcome to the forum..
I'm in and around Coventry most weeks.
TVRRICH

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Vort,
Thanks for the reply,be good to meet you when you are in the Cov area, give us a shout when you are
brian

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2016 1:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the forum mate. Congrats on the bim purchase. Post some pics of the beastie when you get a chance
'99 DB4 #104, '96 SB6 #1165, '94 DB2 J #652, '99 DB4 #088, '08 VTX1800, '93 ZXR750R M1, '95 ZXR750, '95 ZXR750 Race Bike, '94 CBR400rr NC29 Race Bike, '94 CB250, '49 BSA C10 250, '61 BSA A10 650, '89 ZXR750, '91 Ducati 851
TVRRICH

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2016 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How do you post pictures!! had a go but failed!!, not that computer savvy I'm afraid
brian

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2016 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Best way is to save the photos to a host site like PhotoBucket or similar. The copy the direct link code and paste here. Hit the Img button at the beginning and end of the link. [img]link[/img]
'99 DB4 #104, '96 SB6 #1165, '94 DB2 J #652, '99 DB4 #088, '08 VTX1800, '93 ZXR750R M1, '95 ZXR750, '95 ZXR750 Race Bike, '94 CBR400rr NC29 Race Bike, '94 CB250, '49 BSA C10 250, '61 BSA A10 650, '89 ZXR750, '91 Ducati 851
2bims

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2016 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TVRRICH wrote:
How do you post pictures!! had a go but failed!!, not that computer savvy I'm afraid

Its almost as trickey as making your First Bimota purchase.......but seeing as youre a newbie I'll help you out this time....

I'm glad someone finally decided to buy that bike...its been lying idle for far too long at NLM.........

What carbs are on it? Mkuni flatslides or Keihin FCR's? 39's or 41's?.....

If you are needing a copy of the owners Manual, Workshop manual and spare parts exploded diagrams manual drop me a line and I can email them through to you...

Did you get one or two of the original Bimota leather key fobs that originally came with the bike to hold the 2 keys? I have a few spares still if youre also interested........

TVRRICH

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2016 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Brian, thanks for the info, will have another go.
Thankyou also 2Bims, I will go and look at the carbs tomorrow(if it ever stops raining!!). I have downloaded the handbook and parts manual etc thanks, I would love a key holder as none came with it my e-mail is luckycarter@lineone.net.
Has anyone got a spare chain adjuster tool, the tool kit didn't contain one. I mailed bimota classic spares about there recent posting of new ones and they are 120 euro plus tax plus shipping!!!, I would gladly pay a fair price for one.
2bims

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2016 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HI tvrRICH........yeh the chain adjuster tool piece for the concentrics is the one piece that usually goes missing from the tool kit...and BCP price is a bit steep for a hex socket with 2 bars welded on...although that tool is a genuine piece....I have alloy slotted bars with one fixed bolt and one adjustable bolt so that i can spin both concentrics equally.....

Zooming on on the pictures I can see that the carbs are Keihin Flatslides...with K&N Cone air filters....they work well with that engine and transform it...I wouldnt be surprised if once running that you find the end cans may have been "opened up" to allow the best from the carbs...I presume that the choke button on the yoke doesnt do anything as the Keihin carbs dont have a choke...but there should be a knurled cable adjuster on the LHS to adjust the idle....lifting it up to allow starting and wind it down after...I would presume that the carbs are FCR39's and not 41's....you really only have to go for 41's if there was a 944cc big bore kit in place on the bike.

Have you ran it yet? have you found the reachable petrol tap under the tank/seat unit? Only 2 positions on it...horizontal for Off...and vertical down anticlockwise for On...No reserve setting
TVRRICH

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi 2Bims, thanks for posting the pictures and for all the info. I hav'nt managed to find the fuel tap yet or the idle adjust, although it was mentioned to me over at NLM, I started it up Thursday afternoon when it was delivered(sounds glorious!!) but not since as the weather here has been atrocious . Could you post pics of your chain adjuster tool it sounds interesting, also I have read past posts of yours mentioning a side stand mod, the flick up stand is a bit scary so do you have a drawing for your mod?, cheers Rich.
2bims

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Rich........Here is the thread that shows you the suicide sidestand mod...Basically its just a 2.5-3mm alloy or steel plate that you make up and its fitted to the existing small hole at the front of the sidestand that has no function at present (normally its a sidestand switch locator on a Ducati which is where the plate has originally come from)....then then two springs that normally mount on the front to the right are relocated onto the bracket so the fixing point is moved forward and back so that the springs pass behind the sidestand...this is enough so that when you kick the sidestand forward, it reaches a point where it pulls back but holds in the open position...evidently you have to then get used to manually kicking it back before setting off each time as there is no safety cut out on the clutch........

http://www.bimotaforum.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=3698&highlight=sidestand+woes

This is a drg of the "old one" that I had that after 20 years of use finally the springs pulled their way through the plate...hopefully the new one will also last that long......on the above thread you will see spacers front and back either side of the sidestand plate...you can use a long bolt and several nuts.....the shape of the added plate "pulls" against the engine casing and is shaped to fit so that it doesnt go anywhere even though only fitted and held with one bolt

These are my ally bar chain adjusters...one captive bolt and one loose bolt on a slotted bar....

Hope its all clear.......I used to have a spare ally plate but its just gone to another newbie DB2 owner on here also.......
TVRRICH

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi 2BIMS,
Thanks for the pics and info, great stuff. So the side stand plate is ally, any reason for this?, thought that might be a bit weaker than steel, is the bend in the plate 45deg's or is that a 45 mm measurement on the drawing?.
Your chain adjuster looks great, proper job!
2bims

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The original one was alloy...and I just happened to have some spare ally plate lying around that was the same thickness and wide enough...its easier to hacksaw, file smooth, drill and bend......

the 45mm bit is the depth of the triangular piece actual on plan....from where the bend is made.....the bend is probably around 40 degrees rather than 45.....this way it fits tight and flush to the bracket...and the top most piece is vertical to and parallel to the engine where it holds itself in a recess behind the sidestand plate.....thus with the bolt tightened...and the spring hooked on....it stays there...allowing the springs to pass behind and pull back to keep the sidestand "out"...and a small kick will bring it back to its retained position.....
TVRRICH

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks 2Bims, by the way if you have answered my reply to your earlier e-mail I'm sorry I cant read it at the moment as I cant get on to the talktalk home page and therefore my e-mails!!!!!
2bims

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeh...i have emailed you rich...but have now cut snd pasted it into a private message to your inbox on the forum...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bimota Forum Forum Index -> DB Series All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: