Bimota Forum Forum Index Bimota Forum
Forum for Bimota Owners and Riders

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  

900SS Resto Update
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
2bims

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 11:00 am    Post subject: 900SS Resto Update Reply with quote

Had a few spare hours in the sunshine over the weekend, so progressed a little further with the stripdown and ordering of parts.
Stripped the tank of all its sundries, caps, paint, fuel pump, connectors etc.

A little corrosion in the bottom of the tank, but nothing a little rub with wet and dry and some stop rust treatment won't fix, not bad for a 21 year old Italian tank

Carefully stripping the electrics and labelling all the connectors

Especially important to label those that go nowhere, saves frustration later (probably the lick stand cut off switch, gone a long time ago)

All plastic parts taken off, a staggering amount of plastic for a 21 year old bike, and its time to do the dishes Laughing

A fair bit of corrosion on the anodised forks, but they're making way for some NOS ones i've picked up

A fair bit of muck and grime and road salt corrosion to battle through, but hopefully grit/bead blaster will get rid of most of the years worth of damage

Still toying with a possible Ohlins replacement for the rear Showa, will see when its stripped of its spring and how it cleans up first, spend is already at a "makes the bike a "keeper" level" Surprised

Excepting sundries such as bearings bolts and fasteners, belts, fluids etc, everything is now bought and arrived or arriving, Thus next item will be sending off panels and tank for paint, and metalwork for powder coating, wheels, frame, engine cases, clip-ons, yokes etc

Another day with the electrics and other sundries to be removed and it will be frame and wheels off
vort28

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking good Steve.
You got shares in GUNK yet ??
Hope you used FINISH tablets on the plastics, has a no smear guarentee you know.
oily

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking for something positive to say considering the marque...........

Oh yeah...it's got the right coloured wheels Laughing

Amazing how the budget runs away so quickly no matter what marque of bike your restoring Wink

Keep up the good work Wink
Sb6R fighter
Sb6 or Sb7 WANTED
Pompey

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing Love it. Laughing
Mike Jennings

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Steve,

the bikes looking really good but how are you going to wet and dry the inside of the tank? Do you have very small hands or am I reading the caption wrong Shocked

Cheers, MikeJ

P.S. Thinks: must get a dishwasher Very Happy
2bims

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oily wrote:
Looking for something positive to say considering the marque...........

Oh yeah...it's got the right coloured wheels Laughing

Amazing how the budget runs away so quickly no matter what marque of bike your restoring Wink

Keep up the good work Wink

I wish there was a budget Crying or Very sad Thought long and hard before embarking on it , knowing there was no money to be gained, and felt sorry for the bike when I saw it and took it on as a rescue mission I suppose like a sanctuary for abandoned donkeys. Sound Familiar? Tasked myself with the mission on the basis that I had "dropped lucky" with the 2 Bimotas so what the heck eh, you only live once?? Laughing
2bims

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike Jennings wrote:
Hello Steve,

the bikes looking really good but how are you going to wet and dry the inside of the tank? Do you have very small hands or am I reading the caption wrong Shocked

Cheers, MikeJ

P.S. Thinks: must get a dishwasher Very Happy

No, you are reading it right, the camera and hand got inside the tank to take the picture, the early dukes were over engineered with the filler cap, theres the pop up sealing cap, that fits in a ring and this fits inside an outer ring, all have to come off for a tank respray. Later ducs just have the cap and inner securing ring, although the Desmodicci went back to the old ring. The petrol pump is fitted inside the tank and hand access has to be engineered to get it out and change the filter, so can be reached with my soft Northen hands for remedy and treatment, must be 130-150 dia complete size of opening, will update with "hand inside" piccies Laughing
Desmo_Demon

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 1:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

2bims wrote:
felt sorry for the bike when I saw it and took it on as a rescue mission

I was like this with my 1987 Ducati Paso 750, but I had a ceiling to what I'd spend. That is why I decided it would be a mechanical and electrical restoration and would not touch the cosmetics. I have in it about what it is worth. I may sink some more money in it one day, though.
"Map Junkie: My Motorcycle Journeys"
Mike Jennings

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Steve,

on my old YB9 they used a detachable panel in the base of the tank to access the pump (now I know what it's for!), which was fine until I filled the bike up after having not used it for some time-unfortunately, the gasket had perished and the petrol came straight out all over the bike.....now fixed with Hermatite! Of course, being superior Bimota engineering, it had a plastic tank which didn't need sanding Wink

Cheers, MikeJ
2bims

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Desmo_Demon wrote:
2bims wrote:
felt sorry for the bike when I saw it and took it on as a rescue mission

I was like this with my 1987 Ducati Paso 750, but I had a ceiling to what I'd spend. That is why I decided it would be a mechanical and electrical restoration and would not touch the cosmetics. I have in it about what it is worth. I may sink some more money in it one day, though.

Hi Desmo, hows the Mrs? Hopefully on the road to recovery? I think we all share the same thought that "one day we may sink more money in" would be rude not to, and its not about the money, this one Ive said I'll take my time on, or else if I finish too early I'd be looking for something else, so best to take my time as it saves me money??? Its a nice way of thinking that I've mastered over the years. Put money in the Bank? What for? No guarantee its going to be any greater in value or even be there when you want it back, and no interest whilst its sat there, so into the bikes my retirement fund goes Laughing I could take up drinking, or golf or mistresses, but all have their expenses, and as such I'll stick to the bikes Laughing
2bims

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike Jennings wrote:
Hello Steve,

on my old YB9 they used a detachable panel in the base of the tank to access the pump (now I know what it's for!), which was fine until I filled the bike up after having not used it for some time-unfortunately, the gasket had perished and the petrol came straight out all over the bike.....now fixed with Hermatite! Of course, being superior Bimota engineering, it had a plastic tank which didn't need sanding Wink

Cheers, MikeJ

Yeh, the later Monster tanks had a removable base plate with a rubber seal for the pump thats a bugger to refit, like trying to fit a condom on a drunken elephant without being stood on. This one is accessible from the filler cap, that is if it comes off that is, being sat there for 21 years and having differing metals (alloy and steel) aboutting up to each other wasn't fun to remove. I'm with you on the plastic tanks though, very forward of Bimota, not like fibreglass that gets eaten by the ethanol in fuel nowadays, and doesn't rust, just everyone should use them, recycle those yoghurt pots eh? Laughing
2bims

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hhmmm Big boxes in the post. Have to say though that I HATE HATE HATE with some passion DataPost. This is the 3rd time in succession they have delivered to a neighbour but can't bother their fat lazy arses to even leave a card saying that that is what they have done? Once a neighbour had gone on holiday leaving my package in the hallway as I had no idea he had it. Doh!

Anyhow, back to big boxes

Hhmm, whats inside, bleeding light though, have to say....

Oh yeh now I remember, Carbon front and rear guards, all predrilled, nice to see

And a few more carbon bits for the dash, and one for the DB2 also, some new exhaust clamps, with copper nuts for dissimilar metals, crankcase breather, fuel break, nose fairing winglets and a shiney hand turned billet fruit Bowl??? How did that get in there? And before you ask GeeKay, no it won't be visible, fits inside the crank and gets covered by the left crankcase cover Laughing

Sprockets and chain and front sprocket cover plate, chainguard also.

2bims

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well some folk were interested how to wet and dry inside your fuel tank (Bimotas need not apply? Thank God!)

So heres the hand, now you see it...

And now you don't, used to be a gynaecologist, down at the elephant park Laughing

Quite a large opening, Bimota Key Fob for scale, came in handy for wrapping the wet and dry paper around to get into the crevices

Quick rub down with the wet and dry and surface rust gone, time for rust remedy treatment and then tomorrow, tank liner fluids and flush out, tank stripped ready for paint shop, once the seat unit turns up Crying or Very sad

Not too many horrors on the outside of the tank, all flat and level on the inside, shows the work they put in flatting and filling in the factory prior to paint, as tank is original from 21 years ago, about the only bit not needing much work

Couldn't help myself but to dry fit the new bits that arrived today prior to final strip, fell foul previously in buying new bits then 6 months down the line finding that the supplier had sent the wrong part Crying or Very sad Thank god for ebay to recycle such parts

Dash surround carbon bits

I have a spare set of white faced Veglia clocks with Carbon surround alreay that came off the DB2, rims, bezels etc are in far better condition so old clocks will be ditched anyhow

And one final one for tonight of the full bike, once the seat unit arrives, it will all be dry fitted to drill the right locating holes and check panel fit before its all off to the paint shop and I can send the other parts for powder coating and be left with the engine to strip, prep and paint.....

Pompey

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roll on August so I can finish my 888 and start the db2 in earnest... yours will be well worth every effort

Last edited by Pompey on Thu May 17, 2012 8:41 am; edited 1 time in total
vort28

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those Kamna parts look good 2bim's, hopefully the quality is worth the extra cost.
I can see with all the effort up are putting in this is going to be one NICE H/F 900ss when its finished.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bimota Forum Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: